(1) The purpose of this Act is to reform the law relating to road management in Victoria and to make related amendments to certain Acts.
(2) In outline this Act—
• establishes a new statutory framework for the management of the road network which facilitates the coordination of the various uses of road reserves for roadways, pathways, infrastructure and similar purposes;
• sets out certain rights and duties of road users;
• establishes the general principles which apply to road management;
• provides for the role, functions and powers of a road authority;
• provides for the making of Codes of Practice to provide practical guidance in relation to road management;
• facilitates the making of road management plans as part of the management system to be implemented by a road authority in the performance of road management functions;
• enables the declaration and discontinuance of roads;
• provides a new process for the declaration and classification of roads and the re-allocation of management responsibility for roads;
• provides for a road authority to keep a register of public roads in respect of which the road authority is the coordinating road authority;
• provides for the construction, inspection, maintenance and repair of public roads; • sets out the road management functions of road authorities;
• sets out the road management functions of infrastructure managers and works managers in providing infrastructure or conducting works;
• provides for issues relating to civil liability arising out of road management;
• provides for mechanisms to enforce and administer provisions of the Act;
• makes related amendments to the Transport Act 1983, the Road Safety Act 1986, the Local Government Act 1989 and certain other Acts.