Under the Commonwealth Administrative Arrangements Order, the Navigation Act 2012 is administered by the Minister for and the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development.
The Navigation Act gives effect to international conventions for maritime issues where Australia is a signatory.
The Act covers:
- vessel survey and certification
- construction standards
- seafarers’ qualifications and welfare
- occupational health and safety
- carriage and handling of cargoes
- marine pollution prevention
- monitoring and enforcement activities.
The Act allows delegated legislation called regulations and Marine Orders.