Blue Mountains City Council
(02) 4723 5000, (02) 4780 5000
2-6 Civic Place2-6 Civic Place, Katoomba NSW 2780 or 104 Macquarie Rd, Springwood NSW 2777
Council has the following charter under the new Local Government Act:
- To provide directly or on behalf of other levels of government, after due consultation, adequate, equitable and appropriate services and facilities for the community and to ensure that those services and facilities are managed efficiently and effectively.
- To exercise community leadership.
- To exercise its functions in a manner that is consistent with and actively promotes the principles of multiculturalism.
- To promote and to provide and plan for the needs of children.
- To properly manage, develop, protect, restore, enhance and conserve the environment of the area for which it is responsible, in a manner that is consistent with and promotes the principles of ecologically sustainable development.
- To have regard to the long term and cumulative effects of its decisions.
- To bear in mind that it is the custodian and trustee of public assets and to effectively account for and manage the assets for which it is responsible.
- To facilitate the involvement of councillors, members of the public, users of facilities and services and council staff in the development, improvement and co-ordination of local government.
- To raise funds for local purposes by the fair imposition of rates, charges and fees, by income earned from investments and, when appropriate, by borrowings and grants.
- To keep the local community and the State government (and through it, the wider community) informed about its activities.
- To ensure that, in the exercise of its regulatory functions, it acts consistently and without bias, particularly where an activity of the council is affected.
- To be a responsible employer